|“||The greatest tragedy of all was that this butcher of innocents would never be called to account for his crimes.||„|
|~ A classic Karma Houdini|
A Karma Houdini, in this context, has one of the following traits:
- the villain simply died; in a ruler's case, while still in power. Examples include Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Kim Il-sung, Kim Jong-il, Francisco Franco, Fidel Castro, Leopold II of Belgium, Emperor Hirohito, Vladimir Lenin, and Josip Broz Tito.
- the villain was deposed or put in a vulnerable position, but he/she escaped prosecution. Examples include Idi Amin, Josef Mengele, Augusto Pinochet, Omar al-Bashir, Robert Mugabe, Richard Nixon, and Pol Pot.
- the villain never got caught and simply vanished. Examples include Jack the Ripper, Pedro López, Heinrich Müller, the Zodiac Killer, D. B. Cooper, Delphine LaLaurie, Mohammed Ali Hammadi, Rudolf Lange, and Scott Freeman.
- the villain is still alive today, and is either in an invulnerable position or on the run. Examples include Abu Bakr al-Baghadi, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Joseph Kony, Mengistu Haile Mariam, Henry Kissinger, Silvio Berlusconi, David Duke, Tony Perkins, Issei Sagawa, Brock Turner, and Tom Metzger.
- the villain committed suicide before he/she could be punished for his/her crimes. Examples include Adolf Hitler, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, Jeffrey Epstein, Adam Lanza, Seung-Hui Cho, Jim Jones, Chris Benoit, Kevin Loibl, and Stephen Paddock.
NOTE: no matter how painless the death or imprisonment is, deceased (unless they have died of natural causes) and imprisoned villains do not count as karma houdinis, with very few exceptions.
All items (353)